Lister Hospital – Our Changing Hospitals Phase 4
This project was completed as part of the Trust’s ‘Our Changing Hospitals’ programme, which was the winner of the BBH (Building Better Healthcare) 2015 Estates Improvement Award.
The project provided a new Emergency Department, Ward Block, Theatres & Endoscopy and Macmillan Chemotherapy Unit to consolidate acute inpatient services on one site.
Facts and figures
- Client: East & North Herts NHS Foundation Trust
- Design team: AD Architects, IBI and ADP as Architects. Troup Bywaters + Anders as Building Services Engineers and Hyder Consulting and Curtins as Structural and Civil Engineers
- Type of facility: Acute
- The 4 projects were linked and were managed within a masterplan programme and budget.
- Clinically led development to establish world-class healthcare environments
- The clinical team set out the benefits of natural daylight in theatres and this has been provided
- An inspirational sense of place and therapeutic environment for patient and visitors was achieved
- Patient’s staff and other key stakeholders were involved from the beginning and throughout the design process
- The project provided new/enhanced methods of patient care or treatment and incorporated futureproofing to meet changing service needs over the longer term.
We are very proud to have played our part in such an ambitious redevelopment. We continue to partner with the Trust and look forward to facing the future together.Alan Newman, TB&A
There was clear sustainability achievements (social, economic and technical) and carbon reduction innovation within the design process.
Future proofing and flexibility for future patient needs was achieved in a complex blend of new and refurbished buildings - whilst the clinical services were in operation. There were no service closures despite over 300 decants and moves. Patients can be treated closer to home with reduced hospital admissions. The bringing together of clinical expertise into consolidated services improves healthcare outcomes.
The partnership and transparency of Procure 21+ has been fundamental in enabling our programme to stay on budget and deliver the strategy plan on time.Barbara Jenkins – Associate Director, Clinical Configuration East and North Herts NHS Trust